ISRAELI BREAKFAST STAPLES RECIPES: Israeli Salad
It may seem odd to have a salad with breakfast but in Israel the meal is not complete without the distinctive mix of chopped cucumbers and tomatoes.
- 1 lb cucumbers, diced
- 1 lb fresh ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup minced onion (optional)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste (I use about 1/2 tsp)
- Dice the cucumbers in small, even, triangular pieces.
We like to slice the cucumber in half lengthwise. Then slice each half into 4 slices lengthwise, so you have 8 long, thin pieces total. Hold the long, thin pieces together with one hand, and slice the bunch into very small pieces with the other hand.
- Place the diced cucumbers into a large mixing bowl along with all the other ingredients.
- Mix until vegetables are well coated with parsley, oil, lemon juice, and salt.
- Best served fresh at room temperature. You can also serve chilled for a more refreshing salad.